Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Spirituality (day 11)

Saturday at the Sexaholics Anonymous meeting, we read "The Spritual Basis for Addiction." It's my third time through the book, but there was a paragraph that brought me up short; I had not understood it correctly before!

The sentence I was familiar with says: "Some of us testify to having led a spiritual life while still practicing our wrongs."

Yep, that's me. What a hypocrite I have been! But I let that sentence keep me from reading the rest of the paragraph:

"Now we see that the spiritual realm encompasses both good and evil, and that regardless of our spiritual experiences -- real though they may have been -- what we were doing was neither good nor right."

In other words, I was not such a hypocrite; my spiritual experiences were REAL, even as I was leading a secret life of debauchery. The people I helped I really helped. The Holy Spirit that I felt I really felt. At the same time that I was doing things that were "neither good nor right."

This paragraph has become a comfort to me.

Hope

2 comments:

  1. I have just published a book called the sex god - No Mud No Lotus. It deals with sex addiction, divorce and the spiritual journey in a profoundly honest way... and it provides answers. You may find it a fruitful read.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just published a book called the sex god - No Mud No Lotus. It deals with sex addiction, divorce and the spiritual journey in a profoundly honest way... and it provides answers. You may find it a fruitful read.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete