Thursday, October 21, 2010

First Step (day 10 of new sobriety)

I went to an SA meeting tonight and a guy presented his First Step. Basically, he told his story, though it's in a Q&A format. It was very powerful for the dozen sex addicts who heard it. And for him, of course -- the first time he had ever told his whole story to a group.

He had some interesting lines that I definitely identified with.

Of his acting out, he said: "I sink into a depressive celebration of the senses."

He said he also suffered from "the inability to experience joy." he said: "I see negativity as one of my addictions."

That has befallen me at times, though at other times I am quite the optimist. And happy.

As I was jotting down notes from his First Step, I saw some quotes from others that I have written over the last two years that I have been in the program. A statement by one of our wisest members -- with several years of sobriety -- really struck me:

"Anything I put in front of my recovery I'm going to lose anyway."

That's what I did with my lover. Maybe what I'm still doing. And I need to not do that. With God's help, and the help of the program, I believe I can put recovery first....

Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment