Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lone glove

It's been a bittersweet day. I own a business with two locations and have had to cut back and consolidate to one. So today my best friend and I loaded a pickup truck and trailer and moved lots of stuff to three different places for storage.

The business location I closed was where my lover and I met for the second time. (The first had been at a restaurant.) It wasn't a date; we weren't lovers and didn't think we ever would be. But we engaged in some fetish behavior that was very intimate for both of us.

Over the next couple months, my lover became a customer of my business. One time she left her gloves there, but the employees could only find one, so never sent it to her. As I was cleaning up today, I found that glove with a sticky note identifying it as belonging to my lover. It's an expensive-looking leather glove; I don't really temember her wearing them but I'm sure she did when we were together last winter. Left hand, and she's righthanded, so what does that mean, to have her off-hand glove? It's so small -- reminded me how small my lover's hands are. I wonder if I will ever hold those hands again.

I smelled the glove, but it was just the smell of leather, not of her. I stuffed it in my pocket to keep it. I have very few things from our relationship -- some great pictures, but no objects. Now I have one. Maybe I'm a sentimental fool. But the glove means something to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment